Please take a few minutes to read our rules before posting: Forex-Station's Rules. Are you following them?

QuestionWhy do you use Renko bars?

Saw a post which seems like a common theme here why do you guys all like using Renko charts/bars?

Doesn't it repaint?

I know it looks good but is it good?

Seriously asking. Quoted post below for ref.
kaneki wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:31 am Thank you very much mrtools
Hope you can find a solution because the indicator also doesn't work on renko chart

Re: Why do you use Renko bars?

boytoy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:28 pm Saw a post which seems like a common theme here why do you guys all like using Renko charts/bars?

Doesn't it repaint?

Never found anything good with renko
Maybe if you used different size blocks like mtf but thats a pain too load all the time
Ive yet to see a higher to lower pip box strategy

Depends on how your renko is calculated to be a repainted or not

Atr
Ticks
Pips

Median Renko can spawn multiple bars at once
Regular Renko
Etc
These users thanked the author Chickenspicy for the post:
boytoy
0 + 0 = 0
Infinite / Infinite = 1
1 way to Heaven & it matters

boytoy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:28 pm Saw a post which seems like a common theme here why do you guys all like using Renko charts/bars?

Doesn't it repaint?

Renko just smooths out price action so charts looks cleaner and simpler to follow, the trade off is it also disguises price action signals though Renko does give signals of it's own.

Renko doesn't repaint on a straight run but can sometimes readjust the time based history bars on restart or reset and so might condense sideways action. In the pic below is a restarted chart on the left and in this instance there is no real difference to the chart that's been running on the right.

There are many Renko chart builders, some of very dubious quality, in the zip file below are some of the better ones I've found over the years.

These users thanked the author Ogee for the post (total 9):
Jimmy, ChuChu Rocket, boytoy, TransparentTrader, kaneki, moey_dw, RodrigoRT7, Chickenspicy, mrtools

Ogee wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:29 pm Renko just smooths out price action so charts looks cleaner and simpler to follow, the trade off is it also disguises price action signals though Renko does give signals of it's own.

Renko doesn't repaint on a straight run but can sometimes readjust the time based history bars on restart or reset and so might condense sideways action. In the pic below is a restarted chart on the left and in this instance there is no real difference to the chart that's been running on the right.

There are many Renko chart builders, some of very dubious quality, in the zip file below are some of the better ones I've found over the years.

Renko Chart Set.zip
Wowzers I was not expecting such an educating post and collection of Renko indicators & EA's. You've changed my mind.

I am giving these tools a try right now and I'm currently stuck on loading a M10 Offline Chart. It seems my MT4 is crashed, how do I recover?

boytoy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:01 pm Wowzers I was not expecting such an educating post and collection of Renko indicators & EA's. You've changed my mind.

I am giving these tools a try right now and I'm currently stuck on loading a M10 Offline Chart. It seems my MT4 is crashed, how do I recover?
If your terminal has crashed on the MT4 "Waiting for update" screen, Open the Data Folder (if you can't click on your MT4 at all, head to):
  • \AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\
  • Find your MT4's folder in there which will be a long folder name with a mixture of numbers and letters and go into your profiles folder eg. AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\9D15457EC01AD10E06A932AAC616DC32\profiles
  • Delete lastprofile.ini file
Restart your MT4 client and it'll load up again.
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post (total 4):
boytoy, moey_dw, mrtools, RodrigoRT7
Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

boytoy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:21 pm Thanks Jimmy you saved me and Ogee I have just loaded up your Evolution Renko EA and it's works like a charm. Awesome check it out

you can keep the offline chart running and go back to the M1 and play around with the settings to auto change between median, no gap and gapped renko charts
These users thanked the author Ogee for the post:
boytoy

LikeRe: Why do you use Renko bars?

Ogee wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:29 pm Renko just smooths out price action so charts looks cleaner and simpler to follow, the trade off is it also disguises price action signals though Renko does give signals of it's own.

Renko Chart Set.zip
Just like that Ogee has single handedly turned this discussion into a powerful topic for anyone wanting to start with Renko bars....... he has given us a real starting point with his complete set of best Renko indicators and EA's plus insightful knowledge..... the Evolution Renko EA is a great share man and is the best I've seen now!! It's easy to get it running and no lag or craziness Is this your go-to Renko indicator Ogee?

Thank you from the bottom of my heart 💙💙💙
These users thanked the author moey_dw for the post (total 2):
TransparentTrader, RodrigoRT7
Official Forex-station GIF animator at your service 👨‍⚖️
See a GIF with Forex-station.com on it? I probably made it
The best divergence indicator in the world.
Real news exists: Infowars.com 👈

Ogee wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:29 pm you can keep the offline chart running and go back to the M1 and play around with the settings to auto change between median, no gap and gapped renko charts
Great tip man I really dig it i'll try that now. This has really piqued my interest in Renko now especially after getting access to Ogee's setup files before that I was reluctant to even get my feet wet and didn't even know where to begin on installing and setting it up.

Mr Ogee you rock 🤙

Renko and other synthetic charts as constant range bars
have many visible advantages, but to trade with them
you need to have at least some semi-automatic solutions,
as sometimes you can have a very strong movement
counting many bricks during a few seconds, and
- on the other hand - a small number of bricks can
form during e.g. a few days when the market is quiet enough.
So, the absence of time (by definition characterizing the Renko charts)
can be regarded as their main disadvantage.