Re: Windows 10 to 11

Ogee wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:59 pm Can't remember if I even tried, I was still using win 7 at the time and one look at win 10 and I didn't really want to change at all. But eventually you need to buy a new computer and bite the bullet 😩
If you can do all the work, perfect.
In my case some applications which I regularly use for the trading, started to gradually stop working, so I decided to upgrade to Win10, of course make a clean installation, not upgrade directly.
These users thanked the author Curioso for the post (total 4):
Ogee, ChuChu Rocket, Jimmy, moey_dw

Curioso wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:17 pm Nice tips Ogee,

Did you try with Unattended or MDT installation of Windows 1x?
no, it came pre-installed with a new computer. I decided to upgrade rather than replace an old motherboard that started to overheat.

I had decided to ditch the MS account and OneDrive and all the other MS spying BS but found that the get-round didn't work so signed in with my old MS account, then made a new local account, and then set about deleting all the MS stuff.

But, having uninstalled OneDrive 2 weeks ago I now find the bastard spying bot is still active and reporting back to MS HQ twice a !!!"£!&*!*&^ day 👀😵‍💫

These users thanked the author Ogee for the post:
Curioso

Ogee wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:02 pm no, it came pre-installed with a new computer. I decided to upgrade rather than replace an old motherboard that started to overheat.

I had decided to ditch the MS account and OneDrive and all the other MS spying BS but found that the get-round didn't work so signed in with my old MS account, then made a new local account, and then set about deleting all the MS stuff.

But, having uninstalled OneDrive 2 weeks ago I now find the bastard spying bot is still active and reporting back to MS HQ twice a !!!"£!&*!*&^ day 👀😵‍💫

Screenshot 2024-05-04 124936.png
Unfortunately, more and more Microsoft products come loaded with telemetry processes.

But there are several ways to block some of them with 3rd party software, or natively using powershell.
These users thanked the author Curioso for the post:
Ogee

Another tip for setting up Windows to avoid 3rd party bloatware is on one of the first screens is the 'which country are you in', if you scroll down there should be a choice 'The World', if you select that the 3rd party bloatware, which is all regional specific, won't load onto your desktop. You can always change the country selection after the set up process completes,
These users thanked the author Ogee for the post (total 2):
Curioso, moey_dw

moey_dw wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:16 pm Windows 11 vs Windows 10 users across the world (May 2024)
Percentage-of-windows10-vs-windows11-users-2024.png
Maybe the problem in the W11 is push all the users to the cloud, and many users opted stay on W10.

Understand there are fix, to keep using an local account or domain joined, but the question is necessary a couple of requirements (there a fix too) in a certain of time, maybe pass to mandatory.

I see in my case, i didn´t catch anything good to make an upgrade and consume a less resource than W11.

Curioso wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:29 pm Maybe the problem in the W11 is push all the users to the cloud, and many users opted stay on W10.

Understand there are fix, to keep using an local account or domain joined, but the question is necessary a couple of requirements (there a fix too) in a certain of time, maybe pass to mandatory.

I see in my case, i didn´t catch anything good to make an upgrade and consume a less resource than W11.
Many pc's produced shortly after the release of Windows 10 are not compatible with Windows 11, just like many Windows 7 pc's are not compatible with Windows 8[+]. I consider this a blessing for my Windows 10 and 7 pc's. My Windows 11 pc is simply a security monitor--even in classic desktop mode with cloud nonsense disabled, the taskbar remains in centered format like a cell phone. I really never understood the point of making a pc look like an obsolete Windows Mobile device. I'm guessing that other Windows user are in the same boat.

And contrary to Microsoft's support termination notice to Windows 7 users, I still get frequent security updates to my Windows 7 pc.
“[A]s we know, there are known knowns—there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns—that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don’t know we don’t know.”—Donald Rumsfeld, 2002

JohnnyRy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:02 am Many pc's produced shortly after the release of Windows 10 are not compatible with Windows 11, just like many Windows 7 pc's are not compatible with Windows 8[+]. I consider this a blessing for my Windows 10 and 7 pc's. My Windows 11 pc is simply a security monitor--even in classic desktop mode with cloud nonsense disabled, the taskbar remains in centered format like a cell phone. I really never understood the point of making a pc look like an obsolete Windows Mobile device. I'm guessing that other Windows user are in the same boat.

And contrary to Microsoft's support termination notice to Windows 7 users, I still get frequent security updates to my Windows 7 pc.
You receive updates for your windows 7? How is possible when the ESU, only possible extent if pay more than 2y the EndOfLife

More info about the ESU on Windows 7 https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troub ... pdates-faq

And on the oficial repo:
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.co ... =windows+7